Jinsin & Silk Abaca Explored (2 day) – £225 (inc all materials) – Level: Intermediate
Wednesday 27th & Thursday 28th March 2019
Thursday 17th & Friday 18th October 2019
This course is aimed at:
- Those who want to explore working with Jinsin and silk Abaca.
The course will involve:
- Exploring and experimenting with Jinsin, a material renowned for its sculptural quality. It creates incredible shapes when curved and flexed. The fabric can be stripped away to create a wild spray of fibres.
- Exploring and experimenting with Silk Abaca, a material which is fine and smooth and can be free-shaped, blocked or used for draping. Because this material is interwoven with silk, it is pliable and creates amazing curves when twisted and shaped.
- A demonstration on how to hot water dye both of these fabrics.
- Creating a blocked base and learning how to wire and line the inside with a petersham edging.
- Tutorials in various trimming techniques including loops, swirls, curls and how to finish the edges to create a fan and how to balance trim positionings.
- Learning how to professionally finish your hat and how to attach an appropriate head fitting.
You will leave with:
- Confidence in working with these inspiring new materials and inspiration to create many more design from them.
- A finished headpiece made of jinsin and/or silk albaca.
- Information on suppliers and materials.